Are you experiencing some problems with your IDM extension on your Google Chrome? There are a lot of reasons why that occurs. It usually because of compatibility issues when the Google Chrome updates to a newer version. Or perhaps it is because of the IDM itself has updated to a newer version. Anyhow, we will teach you how to fix IDM extension problem in Google Chrome.
This problem is actually easy. Once you did this right, you can do this again on your own next time. That is because the method is pretty straightforward and does not have any complicated steps.
Also, if you have issues with IDM randomly notifying you about a fake serial error, you may check out our article about IDM fake serial fix. It might help you one day when it happens.
Fix IDM extension problem in Google Chrome
I first started facing issues while I tried to download bluestacks on my windows 10 computer. I tried to download it and IDM stopped working. Then I fixed it and it worked. (If you want then you can download bluestacks for windows 10 from here) Here is how you can fix IDM problem in Google Chrome. Follow the steps carefully because this will only take a few clicks and navigations.
- First of all, open the Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the settings button in the top right corner that has a three-dots look.
- Point your mouse at “More Tools” and when you see the “Extensions” click on it.
- Now a new window will open and shows the list of Google Chrome extensions and tools you have installed.
- Minimize the Google Chrome for now and open the installation folder of IDM.
- To do that, you can navigate through the Program Files or just right click on the IDM icon and click “Open File Location”.
- Look for the IDMGCExt.crx or just IDMGCExt if popular file extension view is not enabled on your system.
- Click again the Google Chrome where the extension list is open and drag and drop the IDMGCExt.crx to the Chrome extension list. It will install the file to Google Chrome.
- Now a confirmation will appear, click on the “Details”.
- Make sure that IDM is turned on and at the bottom, make sure that the incognito mode is also turned on or enabled.
- Now open a new tab on the Google Chrome and go to the YouTube site and play any videos. Preferably the ones with no licensing issues to make sure that the video is downloadable. Go for the less popular uploads for the testing.
- Now, the IDM extension is finally working. You are already good to go.
If IDM still does not work
If the IDM still does not work after you have done the instructions above, you can proceed to this step.
- First of all, make sure that you installed the latest version of the IDM. If not uninstall the current version and get a new one. You might need to ready your IDM serial keys for this. If you really prefer the current version that you have, then we shall proceed with what is already available to us.
- Repeat all the steps stated above from number 1 to 12.
- Now go to the extension list and find the IDM tool. It should say something like “This extension might be corrupted”. Click repair and “Repair Extension”.
- This time Google Chrome will download a new version of the file from IDM site and install it. This should take a few seconds.
- Now refresh the extension list and the IDM tool is now fixed.
- Refresh all your tabs especially with the one you are trying to download.
- Your IDM extension is now fixed. Enjoy.
If you have other queries that you want to be answered, feel free to leave your questions in the comment section. We will try to get back to you as soon as we can.